• Each programme at MSB provides an appropriate Montessori environment prepared for the
level of the children in the class and as set out by the enclosed School Mission and Best
Practices & Principles Document, to which we believe embody the essence of Montessori and
which are meant as a guide in our efforts to achieve this mission.
• The Lead teacher’s position is one of a guide, directing the children’s activities academically,
socially, physically, emotionally and spiritually in a manner that fosters the overall
development and well- being of each individual.
• The teacher’s goal is to create a stimulating and inspiring Montessori learning environment
which will model the principles of the school ethos and the philosophy and methodology of the
essential Montessori practices.
• The teacher shall also maintain a positive and caring environment, to provide sensitive support
to each child and to challenge each child to reach his/her fullest potential in each
developmental area, in accordance with the Montessori philosophy.
• Each teacher is an important and valued member of the MSB community and makes a positive
contribution to the character of our community, helps maintain a respectful and co-operative
atmosphere, shares responsibility for the safety of its members and co-operates in the
administration of MSB policies and procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities
• To develop and execute with your fellow colleagues and Academic team curriculum consistent
with the Montessori method and principles and appropriate to the learning objectives for that
particular age group and the individual child.
• To create concrete and supportive learning tools as required and to deliver your programme to
the highest of standards.
• To prepare and maintain an orderly environment in which the furnishings and materials are
complete, appealing and appropriate to the needs of the group.
• To care for and maintain the classroom, the materials and the supplies. They should be kept
clean, orderly and in the best possible condition. The children are also to be empowered to this
responsibility in keeping with Montessori’s philosophy of the Practical Life curriculum.
• To attend all staff meetings including monthly team planning meetings.
• To create weekly and daily lesson plans which will outline the goals, content and support
resources to be undertaken in your daily work with your pupils.
• To maintain current and accurate records of classroom attendance, children’s daily progress ,
attainment and achievement, through anecdotes, collections of children’s work for portfolio
and individual assessment.
• To monitor and liaise with all Specialist teachers, including Mandarin, EAL, and LST regarding
the students’ progress.
• To compile this knowledge in written format for the purpose of writing progress reports as set
out by the school.
• To conduct parent conferences and report verbally to parents regarding the progress of their
child as set out by the school.
• To notify your appropriate and immediate supervisor of any personal or professional difficulty
with children, parents, staff or the community members.
• To attend and participate in all school wide functions, professional development workshops,
Parent Orientation and Parent Education evenings.
• To maintain discipline and manage your classroom in the manner set out by the school
handbook, with absolute and utter total respect for the child at all times.
• To undertake other supervisory duties such as in the playground and lunch room as set out by
• To assist at all times in the safety of all MSB students and assist all MSB students in acting
responsibly in the school and on the grounds. Children are NEVER to be left unattended.
Professional Growth and Conduct:
• To conduct oneself professionally, courteously and ethically at all times, being respectful of all
members of the MSB community and dressing appropriately as a representative of our
• To maintain an awareness of all standards and practices outlined in the staff handbook.
• To protect the privacy and working atmosphere of the community at all times.
• To supervise and evaluate your assistant(s) and intern(s) in your classroom and to provide
specific training and guidance to develop them as a professional working towards supporting
the school ethos and their own job description.
• To keep abreast of current research, trends and delivery styles, to ensure the highest possible
level of teaching excellence and professionalism.
• To participate in any in-service education programs conducted by MSB each year.
• To participate in the observation of other classrooms, attend seminars and advanced
coursework where possible.
• To support the development efforts of the MSB community through visibility at various events
throughout the year.
• To participate in performance review and self-evaluation as required by the Senior Academic
Academic & Professional Qualifications
• Bachelor’s degree in education or higher
• At least 2 years of relevant experience in international school
• Working knowledge of the IB Programme is preferred
• Deep knowledge and understanding of developmental milestones of young children
• Chinese with fluent English
Salary & Benefits
The salary and benefits package are competitive and will be commensurate with the qualifications
and experience of the successful candidate.
This job description may be changed at any time depending on required responsibilities. The staff
member will be informed when this occurs.